Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My First Love

Meet my new friend Michelle.  After I read her Coke post I fell IN LOVE with her!  Her writing inspires me and challenges me and I LOVE that she understand what I mean when I say it's HOT outside (being from Texas too and all)!




My First Love

Have you ever loved a book so much that you just wanted to read it non-stop and tell everyone about it?? I have twice in my life. Normally I wouldn't consider myself a reader... that is normally I HATE to read, but twice I've had something stir me so deeply within that I couldn't stop reading and I just wanted everyone to know what I was reading!! The first time was when I was 17... I had just become a believer and the Bible was totally new to me! Everything I read was SO fresh and full of life!! I couldn't stop reading. I HUNGERED for God's word! I wanted to know more, be more like what I read and tell everyone about the GREAT things His word said! I was ON FIRE for God and was in love with His words.If He commanded me to go, I went! If He commanded me to love, I loved! If He said to think on things that were noble and true, I thought on those things. I didn't want to miss anything God said!

That's the way it used to be. I'm far from 17 now (I'll actually be 40 in August... gasp!)... years have come and gone since that excitement. It lasted a good long time though (around 10 years). It wasn't until I started dating my husband that I lost that excitement. The evenings that I used to spend soaking in God's word I spent getting to know my boyfriend (future husband). I still made time for reading my Bible... just before bed and after hours of hanging out with my new love. Then we got married and my bedtime reading turned into bedtime talking with my honey... it was great and  I knew Paul talked about this divided interest, so I figured it was pretty natural.  Then we had children and any free time I thought I had was gobbled up in interest with them. And I'll tell you right now, I'm not a morning person, and I'm definitely not a morning reader and by nighttime I am EXHAUSTED! I barely have energy for our bedtime talks anymore, let alone bedtime reading!


Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being married, LOVE my children, and LOVE the time I spend with them. God has taught me SO much about Himself through them and our relationships (and as a mom, my prayer life has never been greater)! ;) 

Then recently something happened... I read a blog about a book entitled Radical by David Platt. I was so intrigued by what I read about it that I did something I've NEVER done... I downloaded and printed chapter 1 to read! I got my copy, went to my bedroom, got cozy in bed and started reading the first chapter. By page 5 I had my husband order the book! Once my copy came in, I read it like crazy! I got SO excited by what David Platt was saying about our need to live radically for the Lord and break away from the American Culture... turn our culture and the church upside down in radical obedience to the Lord! I started blogging about it and telling everyone I knew about it, but deep inside I felt bad that I wasn't as excited about God's word as I was about David Platt's words. I actually had planned to write this post about something I read over the weekend from the book, but as luck would have it (although I'm sure it's by Divine Appointment) I can't find my copy of the book. I had it this afternoon reading, and then I misplaced it... I have NO idea where it is...

But as I went around the house (near frantically) looking for it so I could write this post, I was STRUCK by the realization that I've fallen SO far from my FIRST love. It pains me that I'm not frantically searching for my Bible to share something AMAZING that I read in it... it pains me that I don't know where my Bible is (that's a really sad confession to make... and even to be making it here on a guest post). I'm still excited about the things I've been reading in Radical and I plan to share how God's working in my life through it, but I pray I'll remember my first love and find His words as inspiring and awe-producing as I have David's. I pray that God will stir within me a passion for His Word. And if you're like I am and you've fallen from your first love, I pray He'll restore that passion for His Word in you as well!

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:17b-19

May we fall in love with His Words all over again! ♥ Michelle (from 
SomeGirl'sWebsite)




LOVE THIS!!  Thank you Michelle! 


Where are you in your relationship with God today? "Head over heels" or "it's been too long"?  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I woul dhave to say been tool ong for me as well. I read it over and over for nearly 5 years in a row.. I need to get it back out today..

Maggie said...

Praying for you today Angel!!

Michelle said...

Aw, that's SO SWEET!! Thanks, Maggie!

And, Angel, I'm excited that we'll both be getting back to our First Loves at the same time! Btw, I decided last night to switch to a different version to make things a little more fresh. I'm going with the NET Bible (New English Translation). I'll pray for both of us on our journey back! ♥ Michelle

Natalie said...

I JUST ordered Radical two nights ago- can't wait to read it! Thanks for reminding us be true to our first love, FIRST!

Lara G Williams said...

Thank you for your transparency. We all go through those ebbs and flows. I am so thankful that our Daddy faithfully pursues us with His love. He is merciful!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the comments, Natalie and Lara!

Natalie - I'd LOVE to hear how you like the book... looks like you have lots of good books lined up for the summer (from your last post). :)

Lara - Thanks for the reminder that ebbs and flows are a natural part of life. Praise God he is faithful! Thank you!

♥ Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the gentle reminder... it is true. I spend most of my day pursuing something and it's not usually Him. It's easy to let life choke the seed out of the soil. If anyone is looking for another translation, check out The Voice. There's a banner at the bottom of my blog where you can download a free sample.

Michelle said...

It is easy to let life choke the seed out of the soil (I like the way you put that). Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I'd like to check out The Voice... Thank you! ♥ Michelle

Post a Comment